First, believe in yourself.
Second, surround yourself with people who believe in you.
Third, soar to new heights.
No matter what your passion is—find people who get it.
My passion is writing, and my desire is to be a published author. When I first started getting serious about writing, I sat at my computer and wrote—a solitary endeavor. After months of doing this, I had a draft. I finished it! But no one knew I was doing it—so when it came to celebrating, I didn’t have any other writers to share the news with who understood what I had gone through.
I asked friends if they would read my manuscript—most were too busy. I hadn’t known about beta readers at the time. So here I was with a finished draft and feeling lonely. I didn’t stay there for long. Here’s what I did:
- Connected on Twitter with the writing community
- Joined writing organizations
- Entered contests and engaged with other applicants on social media
- Built up my Instagram with writing buddies, authors, and readers
- Found critique partners and beta readers
- Celebrated authors by reading their books, reviewing their works, and congratulating them
- Encouraged and celebrated writers on their way to milestones and when they reached them
- Walked away from bad energy and toxic relationships. This is HUGE. I realized when I surrounded myself with good energy and positive people that I began reaching my goals.
Here’s the thing—don’t try to go at your dreams alone—there are people who will support you (who you can also support), who do understand; find them, and don’t let them go.
Thank you for reading this post.