Recently, I’ve come across people who try to sell me things or get me to do something, yet they are clearly not leading by example. To inspire others to make a positive change or buy into what you’re selling, you absolutely must practice what you preach.
Let me give you some examples to think about.
- Would you hire a personal trainer who is out of shape?
- Would you work with a health coach who has unhealthy eating habits or low energy?
- Would you seek advice on how to build followers on social media from someone who has 10 followers?
- Would you listen to a motivational speaker who puts others down?
- Would you take writing advice from a writer who is unpublished?
- Would you hire a broke financial planner?
The answer to all of these questions should be “no.” People are smart and will pick up on the inconsistencies between what a person says and what a person does. The people I choose to work with or listen to, follow their own advice first and have the proof to back it up.