I know you know this, but it’s always good to be reminded. I sometimes need a kick in the pants. When you have your eye on your dreams and you are working diligently to make them happen, it’s perfectly okay to set your boundaries and that means saying, “Nope.”
My dream is to publish a book. Yes, writing is a legit profession. Yes, I have to carve out time. Yes, sometimes I have to say “Nope” to activities that occur right smack dab in the middle of my set writing time.
“Nope” doesn’t have to mean “never.” It can mean “not right now.”
- Hey can you go to this new workout class at 9:30? Nope, I can’t. I work out at 7:30. You can meet me at the track sometimes if you’d like.
- Do you want to grab coffee today? Okay, I’m all about coffee and all about friends, but nope, I can’t. I can meet you on Saturday morning though.
- You want to go to this dog park with me to walk my dog? Nope, I’m writing, but I’d be happy to go Sunday.
I’m always careful to give alternatives because I want to keep my friends. They’re important to me, but I also know if they are good friends, they’ll respect my “Nope.”
I have to say “Nope” to myself to keep on track.
- Nope, I will not answer that email, text, phone call, until after my writing time.
- Nope, I will not check social media right now.
- Nope, I will not finish reading that awesome book even though I only have two chapters left, until I write 800 words.
- Nope, I will not watch my favorite TV show with the answer to last week’s cliffhanger until I work on my dream.
Only you know when to say “nope” in order to say “yep” to your dream.